The rapid and steady rise of digital purchases opened the market to more scams, especially in Nigeria.
As a result, the government created a biometric registration system. This system exists to cut down on and finally stop fraudulent and illegal banking transactions in Nigeria. The central bank of Nigeria did it in line with Act 1958.
What’s a BVN?
BVN stands for “Bank Verification Number.” It is a unique set of 11 numbers that are linked to all of your bank accounts and, by extension, all of your bank activities.
It’s kind of like your identity in the banking world, and you can use it to track your actions at different banks. It requires people who have more than one bank account to link all of their accounts to a single BVN after they sign up for one. For “know your customer” purposes, BVN checks each bank’s customer in a way that is unique to that customer.
In Nigeria, you need a BVN to have a bank account and use it. Your bank accounts would freeze and stay frozen without one. This applies to all kinds of bank accounts.
How to Get Your BVN
Getting your BVN is a pretty simple and easy process. Follow the steps below to properly sign up:
- Visit your bank with a legal ID card (voter’s card, driver’s license, national ID) and ask for a BVN enrollment form.
- Fill out the form and have your fingerprints and picture taken. The bank takes your biometric data.
- When you were done with fingerprints, they would give you a ticket ID.
- You should get your BVN number a few days or less after registering.
- Many banks today offer a completely digital method, where you can download the form online. After getting your BVN, the next step is to link it to all of your other bank accounts. Simply go to your bank, where they will give you a form to fill out to finish the process.
How to Check BVN Number Online
If you can’t get to or have lost the SIM card you used to make your BVN. You can take the following steps:
Log in to NIBSS BVN Online Portal. OR JUST CLICK HERE.
Enter your BVN as instructed.
Now enter your password and click “Login.”
You can also confirm your BVN on their portal by taking the following steps:
Navigate to the NIBSS BVN Online Portal.
Put your BVN in the first box they have.
In the second box, put your date of birth in this order: Date, Month, and Year.
How to Check Your BVN on MTN
Dial 5650# from the phone number you used to register for your BVN.
In a few seconds, your phone’s screen will show your eleven unique numbers.
Know that this is a paid service. Your provider might charge you up to 20 Naira for this.
Keeping the number somewhere so you don’t have to pay for it every time you need it is a good idea.
How to Check a BVN on GLO
- Ensure that you have up to 20 Naira airtime on your phone
- Dial *565*0# using the phone number you used in registering for your BVN
- Your 11 digits BVN will be displayed on your screen
How to Check BVN Number on 9Mobile
- If your network is Etisalat (which is now 9mobile), you will have no problems. Simply dial *565*0# to get started.
- Wait until you see the number on your phone’s screen.
- This should also charge you too. Having at least 20 Naira in your phone account is a good idea.
How to Check a BVN on Airtel
- If you’re an Airtel user, the exact code, *565*0#, will get you the numbers you need.
- After submitting your inquiry, you will receive a phone number shortly.
- For the inquiry, they’ll deduct up to 20 Naira from your mobile account.
Note: If you are a customer of a Nigerian bank that has been approved by the Central Bank of Nigeria. You may use the 5650# code. Aside from that, this service isn’t free.
From what you’ve read above, you now know how to use a cell phone to check your BVN. Nigerian mobile network operators like MTN, Etisalat, Airtel, and GLO use the universal code 5650# to check BVN. If you need a quick way to get your BVN number, this code will help.
How Can I Open up My BVN Online?
To check your BVN online, you must have applied and gotten your unique 11-digit number from your bank. Now, to see this number online, just log into your bank app. Click on the menu option, and your BVN should be shown there.
The location of the number, on the other hand, changes from one banking app to the next.
At the time of this writing, there is no online site where you can register or change your BVN. Websites that say they can do this are most likely fake.
BVN is a very important and helpful development in the banking business. Its ability to build a unique identity for each customer has cut down on fraud and made the loaning process easier. Hopefully, you now know how to check BVN information without going into a bank.